10.12.2008

On Wedding Invitations

So, being the owner of a stationery store, I’ve long dreamed of the invitations that would invite friends and family to my kids’ weddings. So many options: engraved, letterpress, colorful, classic. But it just has to be letterpress. My ultimate favorite.

My son and his fiancée live in Oregon. They love all things outdoors: camping, snowboarding, hiking, biking. I’d personally selected a beautiful invitation from Oblation, an Oregon company, how perfect. Hand-made recycled cotton paper, ivory with a brown pine bough. I figured they’d be married in the fall, with brisk mountain air and the smell of pine. I’ve had this one in mind for a few months now, ever since my son hinted of an upcoming engagement.


So when they announced a May or June wedding I was a bit taken aback. May? June? Somehow that doesn’t fit what I’d envisioned! May and June are bright and colorful, not ivories and browns. Hmmm.... Back to the drawing board.

One night I woke in the middle of the night – yes, that’s it! The beautiful magenta ink from Julie Holcomb! Perfect match for peonies – my favorite flower! And peonies are perfectly timed for mid-June, what now appears to be the date. Finally it all came together in my head! But when the cobwebs cleared, it hit me - pink wording? What was I thinking? (or dreaming) A pink design, maybe, but not words – this is the wedding, afterall, not a shower, and my son would never tolerate that. Guess I’d better sleep on it some more…

No comments: