10.12.2008

On Being Mother of the Groom

Well, I’ve finally joined the ranks of women who’s son is getting married. That group who want to be friends with their daughter-in-law-to-be and simultaneously not be downgraded in importance to their son. That woman, who wants to be involved in planning the wedding, but really isn’t supposed to. The one who could easily take over, but strives to keep her mouth shut. Yep, that’s me.

Yes, I’m also the one who has joined the ranks of parents helping to pay for the wedding. I’ve never been a spendthrift – I think (hope) even my husband would agree to that statement. But I don’t mind spending a few dollars in the name of beauty and elegance, of making a special day even more so. But all of a sudden, I wake up wondering how many out of town guests will arrive and what will that add to the cost of the rehearsal dinner, let alone the wedding! Mind you, the wedding is not until next summer.

Suddenly I understand all the parents I’ve seen in my store, who scrutinized every purchase, questioned its necessity and took a deep breath as they handed over their credit card. “Hey, at least you’ll get some miles with that” I would joke with them. Eek! Not so funny anymore. And yes, we’re desperate for the miles – with 6 other kids, s/o’s and grandkids to fly out to the west coast, that credit card should soon be smokin’!

No comments: