4.12.2010

Getting Comfortable with Social Media

If you're reading this blog, chances are that you are on the computer a fair amount. Perhaps you follow blogs, perhaps you are connected to friends, family and businesses by 'social media'.  I hardly knew what that was six months ago...  Now I'm writing a blog (nearly) weekly, and posting on Facebook daily! My family has a 'group' and even our store has a FB page!

While trying to learn the whole social media thing (and believe me, I'm still learning!), I looked to other businesses I was familiar with in the stationery world to see how they did it: what they posted about and how often. I was surprised that some of the big ones aren't there. It seems to be the younger, smaller businesses, mostly vendors rather than retailers, that have a stronger presence. Not much for me to go on.

But I look back, and we've been blogging for over a year now!  And we've been on Facebook for two years, posting consistently for seven months now. It took Renee and I a while to get a rhythm. But now that we have, I can't imagine NOT using social media! It's not only a great way to get news out about our business, it's a great way to stay connected with our 'followers' and 'fans'!

So we're encouraging friends and followers of Sarah B. Fine Stationery and Swanky Stationery to follow us on Facebook. We plan to start offering promotions (if I can figure out how!) exclusively to our followers. In fact, we just announced "tax relief days"coming up April 15th and 16th. Be sure to check us out on Facebook for the details and come in to take advantage of this and other good things to come! We look forward to seeing you online!

No comments: