2.11.2010

To love!

Valentine’s Day is approaching, and I've been thinking about the meaning of the holiday, and realizing I don’t really know what the meaning is! To me, Valentine’s Day is one of those ‘fluff’ holidays, sort of like St. Patrick’s Day, that we “celebrate” but don’t really pay much attention to, other than sending cards and giving chocolates. So I did a bit of reading.

According to Wikipedia, the feast of St. Valentine was first established in 496 by Pope Gelasius I. However, even then, there was apparently little known and limited connection between the Saint and love. Folklore has portrayed Valentine as a priest who refused to follow a law disallowing young men to marry, at a time when single men were needed for war. He was jailed and executed, and as the story goes, on the eve of his execution, wrote the first “valentine” himself, professing his love to a young woman. It was a note that was signed “from your Valentine”. Thus, the beginning of valentine’s cards.

Whatever the beginnings, holiday or no, I am always happy to accept a box of chocolates and a sweet card from my wonderful husband! I'll take that any day!

And to all of you, I am so fortunate, blessed, and happy to have so many wonderful friends and family that enrich my life every day! Love to you all on St. Valentine’s day!

From your Valentine, Jan

No comments: