10.13.2009

United States Postal Service


Watch CBS News Videos Online

I like Andy Rooney -- sometimes his features are quirky, but sometimes they're perceptive too.

I couldn't agree more with his insights about the United States Postal Service and sending letters. In reflecting on my own history, I can see how things have changed as I've grown older -- not that old mind you. I also remember when computers were becoming a mainstream piece of technology. It was a time when AOL was the preeminent player for getting online and you paid for it with minutes as you now do cell phones. I remember when I was a child and you wrote letters to keep in touch with people because it was too expensive to call long distance; now it's included in the phone plan. Yes it is easier to keep in touch with people than it once was, but as we rush to complete the tasks of the day, so do we in the communication with those we really care about and should take more time for. I know I'm guilty! And I'm trying to get better about it. I recently remarked to my mother as I was putting stamps on bills that I have not ever in my adult life (at least that I can recall) used up a full sheet of stamps. This was the first year I had done so by sending cards to friends and family (and now I'm out of stamps for those couple of bills I have to mail)!

It's important to take time to connect with those that are friends and family and for them to know that they're important to you, that you took time to think about what you wanted to say and about doing something special for them -- not just quick for you. I hope you'll join me in sending more letters to your friends and holiday greetings to those you need to reconnect with too!

No comments: